Tuesday, March 22, 2011

dentist

I HATE going to the dentist. I mean is there really anything more uncomfortable than sitting with your mouth wide open for an lengthy amount of time, while someone taking a needle sharp tool, scraping around your gums(usually nicking them causing them to bleed and telling me it's cause I don't floss enough. Which might be true, but when you rip my gum with your scalpelish tool, dont be surprised if they bleed.) . Then, poking into what will mostly likely be determined as a cavity, asking "So is that where it hurts? Right there, huh? How about down here, does it hurt here too?". Not my idea of fun.

Because of this, I got an electric toothbrush and upped my flossing a bit, so that my next appointment wasn't so bad.

Wrong. At my appointment Monday I was still scraped and poked--just the "nature of the beast I suppose, but still uncomfortable--and I walked away with a few "take homes":
1. I don't have a cavity just a "sensitive spot" where I need to build up a tolerance by using Sensodyne (old people) toothpaste. (I asked Adam if I should get the Sensodyne Costco pack of toothpaste cause it was on sale this month, to which he rolled his eyes at my dramatic reaction and said I don't need 4 tubes of Sensodyne.)
2. Even though I don't have a cavity, I still have to go back in and get a filling from an old one that needs to be redone... it's like punishment for not committing the crime.
3. I need to stop drinking Diet Coke. Which really will just translate to me trying to brush/floss/mouth wash more so I can keep drinking DC.

so....the dentist and I, still not on the best of terms.

3 comments:

mom/carla said...

I laughed the entire time I read this!!!! SO TRUE!!!

Poor Adam Gentry...this is what he has to look "forward" to!

Shelly said...

I laughed so hard a tear rolled down my face. I love you and miss you soooooo much!!!

Bethany said...

Somehow I missed this post, so I am just commenting now. You should fly to PA for all of your dental exams. My mom does not cut you or make your gums sore. She has like a magical cleaning power and is extremely gentle- even Pop Pop requested her. I guess that is what happens when you do it for over 30 years. I just got my 1st cavity and over Easter break I need my 1st filling. Boo. That sucks. Your posts are great, enjoy reading them!!