Friday, April 2, 2010

"adults"


Sometimes i still feel like adam and I are just playing dress up (like this adorable picture of niece and nephew that Jordan took pictured above). Like we're kids pretending to be adults.
Technically I guess we are considered adults:
-we're both over 18, so the government considers us adults
-we got married, so i guess society considers us adults (though in idaho being married shouldnt classify you as an adult, since being a junior in HS and engaged seems to be no big thing).
-and the bank gave us a loan for a lot of money to buy a house, so obviously they even consider us responsible adults.

however i seem to question my "adulthood" from time to time. And by time to time, i mean most of the time. Let me give you a few examples why:

-our remedies to most illnesses are always justified with "I dont know but my mom/dad used to always tell us to do that".

-or all the hundred times (it seems) i've started a new job and i still seem to call my dad saying "ok i have a form that says W2. What is this? What do i need to fill out? How important is it? what's a dependent? and do i have any?"

-or regardless of how many times i've made dinner i still call my aunts/grandmother/dad/stepmom and ask how long i should boil chicken for.

-or how i told adam today that we're going to do easter baskets for $5 each and hide them for each other, like my parents did for us when we were little.

-or how i love gold fish as a snack and could eat Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for an entire dinner and be so amped about it. I swear if adam and i didnt keep each other in check, the only food we'd have would be chips, icecream, soda, kraft, sugar cereal, cookies, pepporoni, french fries, and maybe the occasional piece of fruit.

-and i even wonder at what point in our lives our saturdays will start earlier than 11:30?

I dont know. adam may be turning 26 this next month, and i'll be 25 (25!) in october, but in my heart, i feel like im still waiting to be a grown-up.

2 comments:

jordan said...

...the 11:30 thing only ends when kids make you get up.

The other day I looked in the backyard and saw toys all over the place and had the realization that I am a mom. and it made me feel like an adult. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I feel like I'm playing pretend all the time too. At least you don't live with your parents...because I still feel like I'm in college.