Monday, April 5, 2010

Duke is King


I know the picture above is blurry. But i really wanted you all to see the VHS movie cover that consumed most of my childhood. Duke is King. It came out in April of 1991, when Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill, and Christian Leattner lead our team to an upset over Kansas, making them the "king of NCAA basketball". This, my friends, was ALL we watched. it was on repeat in our house. My brother Jim was so obsessed with this video that Tom and I hid it from him for like a year... only to be watched 1000 more times after he found it again.
I realize liz is probably rolling her eyes at this post, but I am being honest when I say that seeing Coach K's face on the screen, or those familiar blue and white uniforms, or the Duke emblem on Cameron Indoor Stadium's floor, is some of the most comforting scenery I'll ever see. (A little pathetic, i know. )
But tonight, we did it again!! For the second time since 1991 (and the fourth time in my lifetime) the Duke Blue Devils are the Kings of NCAA Basketball!!! I wish so badly you all could have heard the message my dad left on my cell phone tonight, or even just read the number of pre-game, mid-game, and post-game texts i've had from my family in the last few weekends. I wish even more that I could have been there to see my brothers run laps around the house like they used to (and I'm sure they did tonight). I think then you'd know... and this would all make sense. It's one of those things that I love about having grown up with brothers... and I wouldnt trade any of it.

Yeah Duke!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know me way too well, as I had just finished an eye roll I read "liz is probably rolling her eyes" bahaha.

but seriously i cant' knock duke. They helped me to appear not like a complete sports loser with my bracket and the most comfortable pair of shorts i own are duke shorts.

Anonymous said...

You know me too well. As I was just finished an eye roll, I read your prediction of me rolling my eyes...crap.

But I can't knock Duke completely, they made me look like I know something about sports for winning. They made my bracket decent. And if it wasn't for your love of Duke, I wouldn't have the best pair of athletic shorts ever.

mom/carla said...

In only got to see the very end of the game but I must admit that I was really excited that I know someone who was ecstatic at Duke's win. I wish that we could have been there to experience the celebration first hand!