Sunday, January 31, 2010

Competitive Drive...



I've been told a lot that I can be really competitive. I never really noticed that it was more than normal people until around high school and college when people would saying things about the Palmer kids being competitive. Before that I thought being competitive was normal, thats just how you were... you just tried to win. Looking back, I guess I can see it. We never finished a monopoly game without someone getting really mad because the other kid wouldnt make a trade with them for their property. We all three had baseball card albums, and I can remember my brother Jim convincing me to trade him my Nolan Ryan for his John Kruk when I was around 6. Anything became a competition. Seeing who could read a page of their book faster for summer reading, we timed each other. Exercising, I couldnt work out without being asked to list exactly what i had done. Even who's quad muscles was bigger after a day of soccer camp (Jim compared mine to his, a contest I'm sure he figured was an easy win). Even little things that we'd do to try to beat people who didnt even realize we were competing. I'd say my brothers were the worst. Maybe it's because they're twins, I'm not sure, but to this day, we cant look at our christmas card without one of them commenting on how they were taller in the picture.

anyway, this last week I got an email from Jim. The phrase inside read: "win at all costs!". His friend Jamie had forwarded him a series of pictures from his wedding that Jim was in. I thought this would make my point nicely (I hope this link works).

look at these pictures . watch the guy to the right of the bride...It explains everything...


EDIT: ok Carla, and others who the link didnt work for... double click this photo below... it should blow it up on your screen and then you might be able to see:). Let me know if it works.


2 comments:

mom/carla said...

Too bad that I couldn't see the pictures. Now I'm curious!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't see the pictures either- but i can sure imagine. All three of you having baseball card albums sounds scary!

p.s. considering i'm a run-at-the-sight-of-competition sort when it comes to family.