Saturday, January 23, 2010

Some might call me a suck up...

but i did learn a few things today during traffic school. I actually found it interesting and an effective tool for educating the public on traffic laws and our local police departments.

here's a few points i learned:
-As a nation, it would take one month to kill as many people in car accidents as the number of people who died on 9/11.
-it would take us a year to kill as many people in car accidents as the number of people who died in the Vietnam War.
-And in response to those who think cops have nothing better to do than pull people over, i guess several murderers and bombers have been caught by being pulled over for a traffic violation:
-Ted Bundy was pulled over for not having his headlights turned on
-Timothy McVay (Oklahoma City Bomber) was pulled over for a license plate violation.
- More related to my case, the point when a cop turns his lights on is where he wants you to pull over. So dont keep driving looking for something else, they think you might be up to something (turtle neck or no turtle neck) and might call for back up.
-You can be sitting too close to your steering wheel. You should be able to reach up and rest you wrists on the wheel and you'll know it's a safe distance. otherwise you could get wrapped up by the airbag in a serious accident.


ok, so i might be a nerd, but i did learn a few things. and as irritated as I was having to go to this class, I was pleased to know that it was a good way for our community to spend it's tax dollars.

3 comments:

jordan said...

I got pulled over once for not having my headlights on (I was in a friends car and had only turned them half on, but I didn't know that...) and the police man said that it is there #1 sign for drunk drivers.

I wasn't drunk, luckily.

glad it was...fun?

Chrissy said...

Trish - I love that you saw the sunny side of traffic school. Since I don't know you very well, I love posts like this that show a little bit of your personality that I have not really experienced in person. And things like this also show my why you fit well into our family :)

On another sunny note - I bet you're glad it's over...

Anonymous said...

"I actually found it interesting and an effective tool for educating the public on traffic laws and our local police departments." - you are a serious dork and sound like you are about to write a 5 paragraph essay on traffic school. Uh and I died when I read your text message. This makes me miss you!