Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Props to my 17 year old self...

I was in middle school when I started wearing make-up. Unless you count the roll on glitter claire's sold that smelled like CK1 and you rolled onto your eyelids, cheeks, and even lips, I'd actually pinpoint 7th and 8th grade as when I really had my "coming out". If you saw me walking down the hall, I would have looked something like:






+









(No seriously.... I remember rockin gold lipstick-not even gloss-like it was no one's business). And on some days, though not pictured, I could be seen wearing a burnt deep brown color. Not sure what's better/worse. Of course, it didn't help that my best friend walking next to me looked something like this:









+






***these are not actual photos and were chosen just as an illustration of color***



Get the picture? Bad. Bad. Bad.


Anyone else rock the dark lips or white eyeliner with silver shadow? Tell us we're not alone.





Looking back now, Liz and I make quite a bit of fun of ourselves. We realize now it was terrrrible judgement on our part. But we were only 13-14 year olds, you'd think someone would have said something, right? Wrong. In fact, one time I asked my dad "why did you let me go out like that??" He said "I knew you'd figure it out". The chuckle that followed also added "and it was hilarious..."






Anyway... All this to say that recently I purchased a lip gloss that I swore by when I was 17--seriously the only kind I bought for a while. It was definitely a risk, considering my past cosmetic judgement calls, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that my skills had vastly improved between 13 and 17. In fact, the 17 year old pick, still works for the 25 version of me.



Kudos to you, Tricia at 17!









Liz, do you have pictures of us back then? they'd be the perfect addition here..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing was better than makeup with GLITTER GALORE in middle school. I had a purple gel-like glitter stick that I wore religiously. It didn't come out purple but the gel was purple. I was also obsessed with Limited Too and Bath and Body Works- that kids line that they had.
I think it is funny our parents let us out like that.
For my 8th grade field trip I bought pink hair dye and did pink streaks all over my head. *Classy!*

Anonymous said...

I have a sick picture of us in 9th grade where we look pale as ghosts and have magnificent lipstick on. Might I add that we wore lip liner too. so tragic. I found my 9th grade school picture the other day and i was wearing gloss so I guess I only busted out lip stick for special occasions in high school, like family parties or spring break in nyc.