Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a pat on my own back...

I like setting goals for myself, but I dont always achieve them. Like most people I'm sure, I get lazy, distracted, unmotived, blah, blah, blah...

but about 3 months ago I was fed up with my gym. There was never any parking, I often had to wait for a changing room (this is even including a bathroom stall), which was then usually followed by waiting for a machine (which usually translated to standing there wondering why someone who was leisurely walking on a treadmill needed a 5 minute cool down). Top that with a $40.00 per month fee because I obviously needed to have the Gold Membership, and it was becoming a recipe for a grumpy Tricia around 6:30 PM, 3-4 days a week.

So, I thought to myself "I should suck it up and learn to run".

Here's why:
1. you can do it anywhere, no gym necessary.
2. you only really need sneakers as equipment--though I'd argue I need music too, but fortunately I already had the capabilities for that.
3. running is a total body workout, and I'm a lazy exerciser. If I could run, then hopefully I wouldn't have to do any other kind of workout.
4. I'd save myself $40.00 per month, if I could do it outside.

A while back, Jordan posted on her old blog about Couch to 5k. I thought this was the perfect thing to teach me to run. I downloaded the free app on my phone, and away I went.

As of yesterday (finally! It def. took me more than the 9 weeks the program suggests. :\ ) I did it! Well, I ran for 30 minutes. Now I have to see if my 30 minutes are approximately 3 miles, but who cares. I ran for 30 minutes straight!!!
(I know that's not really a big deal to most people, but any one that knows me knows how HUGE this is for me because I HATE running. Every time it came up in Philadelphia--which was surprisingly often--a new family member would say "seriously? you're running??? you hate running...". I think this made Adam realize how serious I was when I said I hated running).

I still dislike running. that will probably never change. BUT having it be free, and the only workout where you can do it really 3 times a week for 30 minutes and still feel good about yourself, are enough to make it worth it.

2 comments:

mom/carla said...

I used to hate running too! I think it was because I ran too fast for what shape I was really in (and the altitude definitely had something to do with it). Also..money and time was my issue. With 4 little munchkins and very unpredictable schedules, a gym membership was out of the question. So I started off with walking, walking fast (which, by the way, I still do because it works different muscles) and then "running" (which often is jogging). I ALWAYS give myself permission to jog or walk if it isn't going well. After all, I AM doing SOMETHING! It took years before I could honestly say that I liked to run but I do. I really like to be outside and see how the seasons change, when I'm by myself, it is my prayer time (nothing like making your mind think of something else other than how you are breathing and think about how much money I've saved over the years. and believe it or not, running with someone else DOES make it go by so much faster :) Hang in there...maybe someday you won't HATE it.

Brooke said...

Tricia!!! I am soooo proud of you! I remember we were texting one day and you said you were on a run?! Wait...Tricia, on a run? Did I read the text wrong? Now it all makes sense. Good for you! Now we'll have to go on runs together :)