Thursday, November 11, 2010

Facebook --->the loss of filters

Facebook has been around in my life since college... so 2004 for me? So it's been 6 years and it has really evolved. When it first started it was only for college students, there were no ads, creating groups like "i love naps" was the big thing, along with bumper stickers. Mostly people would use to see pictures, and check relationship statuses, figure out who so-and-so is, and see what ex-boyfriends, and what's the term, "frienemies"?, are up to.

NOW... all the info we put about ourselves in the beginning--our likes and dislikes--have created targeted ads, are parents and little siblings are now on, there are games and "apps" everywhere, and status updates are how you learn about everyone's lives.

While this website has grown into a culture changing phenomenon, it certainly has it's drawbacks, negative sides, and just plain annoying features. Let me tell you my pet peeves--you may find you are annoyed by them too.

1."you know who you are" comments. You might have seen that I dislike this in my status update. But why are people writing detailed angry messages to people without naming them. For example: " I hate when people are fake. I dont need you in my life, you just drag me down, and i deserve more... you know who you are". Just write them a message, or... talk to them in person *gasp*

2. Ever read statuses like this: "on the treadmill at the gym", or "at a romantic dinner with my husband. first course down, waiting on dessert. he's so sweet", or "I wish he would just latch on... no wonder they say breastfeeding is hard... this hurts". The point is... are you so addicted to facebook that you're using your cell phone to update it during the most ridiculous moments? or are you using it to share with the world details we dont care about? Random thoughts and observations, funny. major life moments you want to share with a lot of people quickly, great. Sharing in appropriate things at inappropriate times...not necessary.

3. Over friending. Do you know someone that is an over-eager-friend-requester? have you even been introduced to someone, then head home and find an email that they want to be your friend on facebook hours later, when you barely remembered meeting them to begin with? These are the people who's info goes down your news feed and you're like "who is that again?" I consider facebook friending as real life friending. Not people that you meet and will never see again. Not the ones you couldnt pick out of a line up. But ones that you're like "yeah, i'm glad we met, I'd like to keep up with your life".


These are my facebook pet peeves. what are yours? you know you have them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i loved this blog, you're so funny. I think you basically nailed it with all of my pet peeves, but i'd like to ad my dislike for drinking/party pictures. After a while its really depressing watching someones life and appearance go down the drain. I wish facebook was as simple as it was back in 2005, that was great.

Chrissy said...

Well - I never got to know the simplicity of the "old" facebook so I really can't compare it. BUT - I do have a pet peeve: when people post things like "Way to go Broncos (or whatever team), now only 1 more touchdown to go" Really - posting during the game? That drives me crazy.....

Anonymous said...

Just thought of another one...I can't stand it when people's status's are only about phsyical acitivity..."going to the gym", "I love running", "just ran 20 miles","one marathon down, two to go", "i haven't worked out in two days, i'm dying", "is there anything better than running? i love being alive" - ok we get it, you're in great physical shape.