Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Genius of Pollyannas...

I tried to google image Pollyannas and didnt find just one photo to represent a pollyanna gift exchange, no surprise. But I did find a website somewhat portraying what i'm talking about...Did you know there is a Colorado Cat Collectors club? Here they are at their 2007 pollyanna gift exchange: click me


This year I am the
queen of pollyannas. I'm in 5. One for my college friends, one for my high school friends, one for Adam's family, one for my family, and one with my cousins on my dad's side. Now all of my pollyannas had names drawn ahead of time, not numbers like how the cat club did it. I'm pretty sure my apparent obsession with pollyannas started with my family around the time that my brothers and i had money to buy any type of present; middle school I suppose.[ ...yes, we did not want to spend money on two presents, instead we drew names (between the three of us) and only bought one gift. I guess this is what happens when you grow up with brothers] Then in HS i added my closest friends, and cousins, then college, and now adam's fam.

Why are they so perfect you might ask?
1. it can cut cost in half, or in 14ths if your in the Palmer cousin one.
2. you have to plan a time to exchange them which can be as cool or casual as you want. This years HS one is being held at the Park Hyatt in Philadelphia for the Nutcracker tea--super cool. Then our College one is just through the mail--casual. it's whatever anyone can do.
3. it feels like you're getting presents for everyone even though you're not.
4. they can have themes--ie. College-3 kinds of underwear: 1.cute, 2. comfy, 3. scandalous
5. everybody wins

I am a firm believer that Pollyannas are the best way to give presents to the most number of people, and I keep thinking of more people i should be in one with---although I think adam capped me out at 5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cat collectors of colorado...i'm going to meet them when i'm in denver.

mom/carla said...

I had never heard of a Pollyanna until this weekend when Adam explained what it is. We have been doing "gift exchanges" ever since the kids started getting allowances but your name for it is much more enticing.

I totally agree that it is fun and it helps with things not getting out of hand. Enjoy ALL of your Pollyannas.