Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Liberties

I dont know what it is, but people take liberties with my name ALL the time. My full name is Patricia, and I cant even begin to tell you the number of times people have decided that means my nickname must be Pat or Patty. I dont understand?
College professors and substitute teachers when taking role would inevitably get to me and say "Patty Palmer?" looking around the room. And typically I countered quickly with "you can call me Trish or Tricia" while all my friends giggled in the background. In fact one time, in high school, I had a teacher (a hot teacher, so i didnt mind) call me "patorpatty" for the entire semester just because I asked him not to call me either.

well friends... i'm here to tell you this name-taking-liberty still carries on. Below is an email from a client (names taken out to protect the innocent):

Thanks, Patty, for the reminder – I paid online.
Dear client and world, please dont call me Pat or Patty. You can spell my name wrong all day... but please, please, dont call me patty.

5 comments:

jordan said...

oh tricia...the negative effect of having a family where mockery is the love language is that posts like this only inspire...I will try not to let drew and adam see it. :)

Tricia said...

jord... please do try to keep this info from drew and adam. however should it get out, it's ok. my own brother has a habbit of calling me "patty p" or at least he used to. sick right?

Anonymous said...

not a nick name...but people who forget my name automatically call me lisa...that makes me want to die. But if Mr. Bangbang called me Lisa, I would have ran with it.

Chrissy said...

I find this so funny because I am always being called Christy. Not that I mind...it's not nearly as bad as what people are doing to you! I once had a guy I didn't even know tell me I should consider Christine because Chrissy isn't professional enough...the nerve. Luckily - I think Chrissy suits me fine...and Trish/Tricia you...I just don't see you as a Pat or Patty at all.

Amie Hefley said...

I am so hearing that! I get Wendy... but my nickname is Wen. Somehow that gets turned into Gwen, which is equally as annoying as Wendy.
ARGH!!