Wednesday, July 8, 2009

the "i'm not sure if it's really great yet" outdoors

Growing up in philadelphia i really never spent a ton of time outside. at least not the kind of outside most other parts mean when they say "outside". For us, it was playing when we were little (climbing trees, making berry potions, etc), playing sports, going to the beach, going for a run/walk, but it was never camping. The only "camping" trips i've ever been on were in 5th and 6th grade with Mr. Bateman. the ones he organized for 40 kids or so. we never carried all our stuff in backpacks, never set up our own tents. we had a bathroom, and a little grill where he and someone else made all our food (or we just went to the local mcdonalds 5 miles away).

Now that i no longer live in philadelphia, and only visit, i'm learning that most other places consider "outdoor" things to be a bit more. A hike isn't around Ridley Creek State Park's paved trails. Nope. Out here you can hunt, fish, backpack, hike, and camp. (and camping is sometimes considered a cheaper alternative to a hotel, or a night away!). But it all requires special "gear": shoes, "packs", rodS, pants, shirts, and miniatures of EVERYTHING.

Everyone out here keeps mentioning camping, and how i have to go. I'm kind of skeptical. I'd rather buy cute heels or flats than hiking boots. And I'd rather get done hiking and head over to sonic than filter out my own water. At least this is how I think I'd feel about it.

My husband really doesn't push it though. He's awesome that way. He's getting ready for a backpacking trip at the beginning of august in colorado at this beautiful lake in the middle of no where. All of his stuff fell out of patrick's truck last year, so he had to buy all new stuff (he even just came home and tried it all on for me saying "this is what i will look like in nature", ha cute. )

anyway this is long. but i'm excited for his new stuff and his trip, mostly because i see how excited he is. As for me becoming "outdoorsy", i might have some mental obstacles to overcome first. But, if Kedron gets her way, there will be a camping trip sometime soon. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to be open. Who knows, my next pair of shoes might come from Cabelas Bargain cave (but lets not get ahead of ourselves).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how our lives have changed.

mom/carla said...

I so enjoy your "east meets west" commentaries! Thanks for being such a trooper, Trish! Love you xooxox